One very common sign that you’ve got a “GAPS kid” on your hands is recurrent ear infections. I suffered with countless as a child, and took all the requisite antibiotics, plus a couple of rounds of tubes. No one ever mentioned food allergies to my mom, and the role that good bacteria played wasn’t even discovered back then.
Now we know so much more, but still around two-thirds of children in the Western world have ear infections at some time every year, with one-third having more than four each year! So we’re talking epidemic proportions! This highlights a serious imbalance in our kids’ bacterial balance and immune systems and should not be considered a normal part of childhood.
Ear infections and glue ear, which is a middle ear infection where a glue-like substance fills the space that should have air in it, are the most common reasons why GAPS children are prescribed so many antibiotics in their first years of life.
Over time the GAPS program will completely eliminate chronic ear infections. In the meantime there are several natural remedies you can use.
Here are Dr. Natasha’s recommendations:
- Populate the throat with probiotics. Open a capsule of excellent quality probiotics and sprinkle some on the tongue between meals and at bedtime.
- Keep your child warm and cozy. Only give them warm drinks like broth or herbal tea with honey and lemon.
- Probiotics and oil drops. Mix 1 capsule of probiotic with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Use this as ear drops every hour (3-5 drops).
- Garlic and oil drops. Peel and then crush 3-4 cloves of garlic and mix it with ¼ cup olive oil or coconut oil in a saucepan. Heat this over low heat until the garlic is browned. Turn off the heat and let it cool to about room temperature. Strain it through cheesecloth or a fine-mesh strainer in to a glass jar so there are no garlic chunks in the oil. Use this as ear drops every hour (3-5 drops). If you need to melt the oil again you can run the jar under hot water and it will soften very quickly.
- Egg & onion remedy. The combination of eggs, fat, and cooked onion provides food for the entire immune system.
Here’s the egg & onion remedy recipe:
- Slice a large white onion in to a sauce pan.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of butter, ghee, lard, duck, or other animal fat.
- Cook it with a lid on it over very low heat for about 20 minutes, until the onion is very soft.
- In a skillet, fry two or three eggs in plenty of animal fat. Allow the whites to cook all the way through, but leave the yolks runny.
- Serve the onions, eggs, and all the fat they were cooked in, mixed together in a bowl, adding a teaspoon of good quality extra virgin olive oil on top.
Whether you follow the GAPS™ Diet or not, these natural remedies can help you manage the discomfort of recurrent ear infections. Different things work for different people so expect a little trial and error to find out what soothes your child.
Please share these tips with other families you know who are dealing with ear infections, and when you’re ready to tackle them for good and have vibrantly healthy kids, consider the GAPS Diet.
This information is gathered from training materials from Dr. Natasha, but is not designed to be medical advice. Please use it with care.