I love broccoli and beef in anything so I brought the two together in this simple soup! Chinese 5-spice powder adds a unique new flavor if you’re bored with salt and herb varieties of soups – especially on GAPS.
This makes a large pot of soup since we always like leftovers. Please note that the ginger and garlic is rough chopped. There is no need for minced perfection in this soup! I also use the broccoli stems because I hate waste. I peel them if they seem too tough to cook or digest easily.
- 6 quarts beef bone broth
- 1 1/2lbs beef stew meat
- 2T coconut aminos (a GAPS-friendly alternative to soy sauce)
- 3T toasted sesame oil
- 2t Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1T ginger, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 heads of broccoli, florets and stems chopped
- Bring broth and stew meat to a boil and then lower to a rolling simmer. Let the beef cook for about an hour, checking to see that it’s cooked completely. You can also slow simmer it longer if your stew meat is tough and you’d like it to become more tender.
- Add the coconut aminos, sesame oil, 5 spice, ginger, garlic and broccoli and bring it back to a boil.
- Cook 3-5 minutes until the broccoli is soft enough to easily pierce with a fork, but still green.
- Dish up and add mint and cilantro to each bowl.